Tuesday - April 29, 2008

From: Denton, TX
Title: Plants to disguise plastic rainbarrels in dry shade

QUESTION:

What plants would you recommend to disguise blue plastic rainbarrels in dry shade?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants suggests you think about painting those rainbarrels a nice forest green so that they will be easier to hide behind some great evergreen plants. That said, here are some suggestions for evergreen plants that should do well in dry, partial shade. Partial shade is defined as 2 to 6 hours of sun a day.

Mahonia swaseyi (Texas barberry)

Mahonia trifoliolata (agarita)

Hesperaloe parviflora (redflower false yucca)

Yucca rupicola (Texas yucca)

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle) This plant will tolerate both wet and dry soils.

Please visit the North Central Texas Recommended list for more options.