En EspaÑol

Saturday - September 12, 2009

From: Newton, KS
Title: Overseeding sprig planting of native grass in Kansas

QUESTION:

Can I overseed a Sprig planting of native grass in Kansas in the Fall?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants doesn't see why not!  Fall is ideal for planting grass seed because the cold winter weather helps insure germination.  The tricky thing about overseeding is to insure that you have sufficient bare ground for the seeds to fall on.  You obviously can't plow or easily use a seed drill to plant since the sprigs are growing there; so, you will have to rely on broadcasting the seeds and they must be in contact with bare ground for germination.  You can read some tips on planting prairie grasses and wildflowers from the Missouri Department of Conservation.