Sunday - August 16, 2009

From: Dallas, GA
Title: Plant identfication

QUESTION:

We live in a forested area in Rockmart,GA. There is a creek in the woods and a lily type plant that only flowers occasionally. It is white in the center and has thin white spires that jut out from the points of the center. There are 5 or so stamens that sit in the center also. I've waited 3 years to see one of them bloom. Any ideas as to what this might be?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks that this sounds like Hymenocallis caroliniana (Carolina spiderlily).  Here is a link from University of Southern Indiana with more photos and information.  I am not sure whether you can see one blooming now; but if the identification I offered is not the correct one and your lily is blooming, please take photos and send them to us.  We will do our best to identify your lily. Visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to read the instructions for submitting photos.

Hymenocallis caroliniana

Hymenocallis caroliniana