Saturday - June 20, 2009

From: Georgetown, TX
Title: Problems with non-native althea in Georgetown, TX

QUESTION:

My white althea's leaves have a white edge, last year the bloom did not open. Is it sick?

ANSWER:

Hibiscus syriacus or althea, also known as Rose of Sharon, is a native of China and Taiwan, and therefore out of our range of expertise at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. We are focused on the care, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which the plant is being grown. Plants native to an area will be accustomed to the environment, including the climate, rainfall and soils, and require less water, fertilizer and maintenance.

For some leads to the answer you need, go to About.com:Landscaping - Rose of Sharon Bush.