Tuesday - June 09, 2009

From: Meridian, ID
Title: Problem with non-native Chocolate Silk Tree, Albizia julibrissin

QUESTION:

How do we get our Chocolate Silk Tree that once had redish brown leaves from now green to the original color? Thank You.

ANSWER:

The expertise and focus of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is with plants native to North America.  Summer Chocolate Silk tree is a cultivar of Albizia julibrissin (silk tree).  The native distribution of this tree is from Iran to Japan.  Not only is it a non-native and, thus, not really in our purview, but it is also considered invasive.  Mr. Smarty Plants suggests you go to UBC Botanical Garden Forums or iVillage GardenWeb forums where you can post your question and might be able to find the answer.