Friday - July 06, 2012

From: SUNRISE, FL
Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Poisonous Plants, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Dwarf oyster plant dying in Sunrise FL

QUESTION:

WHAT WOULD BE KILLING MY DWARF OYSTER PLANTS

ANSWER:

From a previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer, here is the scientific name of this plant, Tradescantia spathacea. It will not be in our Native Plant Database because it is native to Mexico, the West Indies and Central America.

Perhaps you should be grateful to whatever it is. (Herbicides sprayed in the neighborhood?) We could find no information on killing Tradescantia spathacea or reviving it, but lots of information on the severe allergic reactions of people and dogs to some toxic substance exuded by it. See this Floridata website on Dwarf Oyster Plant.

Perhaps the best website for you to read is the forum Dave's Garden. Please read the 8 negative comments on the plant.