Tuesday - June 02, 2009

From: molino, FL
Title: Identity of a thorny vine in Florida

Area: panhandle of FL Problem: thorny vine with large potato like roots, rapid growing and very invasive. grows in summer time. thanks

Identifying plants from a description can be difficult if not impossible ,but Mr. Smarty Plants thinks this could be  cat briar Smilax bona-nox (saw greenbrier) which is distributed across the Southeastern US, or one of its siblings in the genus Smilax.

We're going to try a two step approach: first, I've found some websites with descriptions and images of this plant. Check these out to see if your plant resembles any of the images.

University of Vermont

Discover Life

Google Images

The second step is for you to visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants  Plant Identification page to read instructions for taking and submitting photos of your plant for identification.