Sunday - July 27, 2008

From: Norwich , VT
Title: Vine for house in partial sun in Vermont

QUESTION:

we are looking for a climbing vine against the east side of our house, partial sun but need at least 20 feet tall, in zone 4, vermont

ANSWER:

You can search for vines native to Vermont yourself in our Native Plant Database by doing a Combination Search and selecting 'Vermont' from the Select State or Province option and then 'Vine' from Habit (general appearance). There are 40 possibilities but you probably don't want to choose some of them (e.g., Toxicodendron radicans (eastern poison ivy))! Here are a few that Mr. SP recommends:

Celastrus scandens (American bittersweet)

Clematis occidentalis var. occidentalis (western blue virginsbower)

Clematis virginiana (devil's darning needles)

Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle)

Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper)

Parthenocissus vitacea (woodbine) with photos and more information

Celastrus scandens

Clematis occidentalis var. occidentalis

Clematis virginiana

Lonicera sempervirens

Parthenocissus quinquefolia