Mr. Smarty Plants - Wax myrtle in partial shade in Dothan AL

Friday - March 13, 2009

From: Dothan, AL
Title: Wax myrtle in partial shade in Dothan AL
Answered by: Jackie OKeefe

QUESTION:

Will the Wax Myrtle do well in the 36303 area code in partial shade?

ANSWER:

Yes.

Dothan, Alabama is the center of an area known as the Wiregrass Region. See these two web pages for a description of the region and a link to a nearby state park which demonstrates the ecosystem: Wikipedia Wiregrass Region and Florida Forest Management Blackwater River State Forest. It is characterized by (you guessed it) Wiregrass, Aristida stricta (pineland threeawn). One of the commonly occurring understory plants is Morella cerifera (wax myrtle). Understory plants are so-called because they occur in th shade of the tall tree canopy. 

A detailed description of the plant and its growing requirements is found by following the link Morella cerifera (wax myrtle) to the individual page on this plant. 

Aristida stricta