Monday - March 09, 2009

From: Olympia, WA
Topic: Wildflower Center
Title: What are those bushes with purple flowers around the Wildflower Center?

QUESTION:

Hello! We were just at the Wildflower Center earlier this week (March 1 or so, 2009), and there were several large bushes with purple flowers on them. The very helpful docent told me what they were, but I've forgotten. Can you remind me, please? Thank you!

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks that the plant you are talking about is our Texas Mountain Laurel Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain-laurel) with its showy purple flowers that have a fragrance reminisent of grape Kool-aid.

Hope you had a good visit!

Sophora secundiflora

Sophora secundiflora