Saturday - April 16, 2005

From: Denver, CO
Title: Asters bloom period

When do the asters bloom?

For the aster family, Family Asteraceae, (which has flowers with the common names of asters, daisies, and sunflowers) you can find some members of its family blooming at any time of the year. Within the Family Asteraceae there are many different flowers that are called by the common name "aster". In general, those different "asters" tend to bloom in the summer and fall. For instance, the fall aster fall aster (Symphyotrichum oblongifolium) blooms, as its common name implies, in the fall. The Engelmann's aster (Eucephalus engelmannii) blooms in the summer.

If you know the scientific or common name of the particular aster you are interested in, you can go to the Native Plants Database to search for it and learn when it blooms, its other characteristics, distribution, and more.