Saturday - January 24, 2009

From: Harmony, NC
Title: Source for seeds of Aniscanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii

I am Kevin Campbell of Campbell Family Nursery. I wish to try some of your native flame acanthus or wrights desert honeysuckle. Aniscanthus quadrifilus wrightii Ii believe. Do you know of a seed source or a wholesale nursery that provides liners. Did not see a seed source listed on the site. And looked at those that were listed as references to sources and still no seed source. Can you help me out. Understand there are different colors of this plant?

You will notice that the geographical distribution of Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii (Wright's desert honeysuckle) is limited to Texas, so in our National Suppliers Directory your best bet for finding a source for seeds or plants would be to search using 'Texas' in the "Enter Search Location..." box.

I did a quick search in some of the nurseries that have webpages and found that McNeal Growers in Manchaca,  Oma's Garten Pflanzen in New Braunfels, Wichita Valley Landscape in Wichita Falls, and Hill Country Natives in Leander all showed plants for sale.  McNeal Growers is also listed among Texas seed companies so perhaps you should start by contacting them to see if they have seeds. Native Texas Nursery in Austin and Wright's Nursery in Briggs are both wholesale nurseries and even though neither lists flame acanthus in their list of plants, it would probably be worth a telephone call or e-mail to learn if they might have them.  

Finally, you might contact someone in the Native Plant Society of Texas (NPSOT) to see if they know a source for seeds or liners.

Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii

Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii

Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii