Friday - September 30, 2011

From: Fort Worth, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Seed and Plant Sources, Edible Plants
Title: Need source for garlic to plant in garden in Fort Worth, TX.

Where can I get or purchase a native Texas garlic to plant in my garden?

Mr. Smarty Plants is assuming that the garlic you want to plant is for culinary use. The plant used for this purpose is Allium sativum which is not a Texas native.  The Texas natives with the name garlic are Allium canadense (Meadow garlic) and Allium drummondii (Drummond's onion). Both can be eaten, but they don’t have the large cloves that one would use in the kitchen.

There are at least 600 varieties of A. sativum that are grown and eaten world wide.
These three sites can tell you more about garlic and where you can obtain garlic sets.

examiner.com how to grow garlic

gourmetgarlicgardens.com good source for garlic sets

hoodrivergarlic.com  good source for information and sets