Friday - May 28, 2010

From: Centennial, CO
Title: Where can I find poppies that bloom all summer in Centennial CO?

Where can I find poppies that bloom all summer? Are they called California poppies?

The California Poppy Eschscholzia californica (California poppy) is the state flower of California and the NPIN page for it indicates a bloom time of Feb. through Oct. This probably varies with location. Another poppy, the Alpine Poppy Papaver radicatum (rooted poppy)  has a bloom time of June to August. Both of these plants occur in central Colorado.

I was able to find two seed sources for the California Poppy, but none for the Alpine Poppy.

Seeds sources for California Poppy:

Wildseed Farms

Swallowtail Garden SEEDS

Eschscholzia californica

Papaver radicatum