Friday - May 28, 2010

From: Centennial, CO
Title: Where can I find poppies that bloom all summer in Centennial CO?

QUESTION:

Where can I find poppies that bloom all summer? Are they called California poppies?

ANSWER:

The California Poppy Eschscholzia californica (California poppy) is the state flower of California and the NPIN page for it indicates a bloom time of Feb. through Oct. This probably varies with location. Another poppy, the Alpine Poppy Papaver radicatum (rooted poppy)  has a bloom time of June to August. Both of these plants occur in central Colorado.

I was able to find two seed sources for the California Poppy, but none for the Alpine Poppy.

Seeds sources for California Poppy:

Wildseed Farms

Swallowtail Garden SEEDS