En Espa—ol

Sunday - January 11, 2009

Title: Proximity of male possumhaw to female

QUESTION:

Mr. Smarty Pants, In regards to fertilization, how close by must a male possumhaw be located to a female possumhaw?

ANSWER:

This seems to be a popular question this time of year when the possumhaws are showing their gorgeous red berries. Here is an extract from a recent answer from Mr. Smarty Plants on that question:

"They don't require a nearby male to bloom, but they do in order to fruit. Both Ilex decidua (possumhaw) and Ilex vomitoria (yaupon) are members of the Ilex genus and are in the Aquifolaceae, or holly, family. All members of this genus are dioecious, which means a male must be present, of the same species and blooming at the same time, in order for the female to be pollinated and produce berries. There need be only one male for several females, but it should be within 30 or 40 feet of the females. Bees are the pollinators of these plants, and you don't want them to have to go too far to put down the pollen."

Ilex decidua

Ilex decidua