Monday - November 10, 2008

From: Fort Mc Coy, WI
Title: Possible source of dermatitis in Wisconsin

QUESTION:

I hunt in a Marshy area in central WI. I have had a breakout on my skin that is not from poison ivy. There is a plant that has pine like needles on it that look like dried up pine needles that is yellow and they scatter all over. I am wondering would this cause a dermitis on the skin.

ANSWER:

We would certainly like to help you with this, but we are not sure what the plant is that you are describing. If you can send us a picture (directions below) perhaps we can identify it. In the meantime, regardless of the source of the problem, you might do well to have a doctor look at the breakout on your skin. 

Plant Identification

Need help with a plant ID? Send us an email following the instructions below.

1. Tell us where and when you found the plant and describe the site where it occurred.

2. Take several high resolution images including details of leaves, stems, flowers, fruit, and the overall plant.

3. Save images in JPEG format.

4. Send email with images attached to id@smartyplants.org. Please enter Plant ID Request on the subject line of your email.