Friday - October 31, 2008

From: Dallas, TX
Title: Names of native plants in Garland, Texas

QUESTION:

We are building a new Assisted Living & Memory Care community in Garland Texas. We typically name the different floor plans after trees, plants or flowers indigenous or native to the area. Can you provide me a list of wild flowers or flowers native to Garland? I have a list of the other items. Thank you ever so much for your assistance.

ANSWER:

Here are two lists that can help you find a name for the floors in your care facility—a very charming idea.  We don't really have a list just for Garland, but we do have a North Central Texas Recommended species list that would include the area of Garland.  There are also lists of local native plants on the Trinity Forks Chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas (NPSOT) website.  These are plants that grow witin a 50 mile radius of Denton, your near neighbor.  You should be able to find suitable names from these two lists.