En EspaÑol

Saturday - October 18, 2008

From: Wallace, SC
Topic: Wildflower Center
Title: Purchase of herbs from Wildflower Center

Can I purchase herbs from the Wildflower Center?

If you are searching our Native Plant Database, and want to Narrow Your Search, the first qualification for the plant you are searching for is "Herb," which means herbaceous in habit, usually losing leaves and/or dying back to the ground in the Winter. In that sense, yes, you can purchase herbs from the Wildflower Center. The Fall Plant Sale is going on now, with a number of herbaceous plants for sale, and there is another Plant Sale in the Spring. During the rest of the year, a few plants are available at the Store, but other than the sales and those at the Store, we do not sell plants.

If, when you say "herb," you mean plants like rosemary, lavender, sage, etc., then the answer is no, you cannot buy them at the Wildflower Center. They are all non-native to North America, and at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center we specialize in plants native to North America and to the area in which they are being grown. The reason for this is that plants adapted to an area by millennia of growing there will be more able to cope with the conditions, thus requiring less water, fertilizer and maintenance.