Thursday - May 19, 2005

From: Longmeadow, MA
Topic: Wildflower Center
Title: Plants available for viewing in Wildflower Center in October

We are thinking of bringing a group to visit the Wildflower Center during the weekend of my son's wedding in Austin in early October. Will there be much to see at the garden at that time of year?

There should plenty to see in the gardens in early October.

The fall sunflowers, such as, Common Sunflower (Helianthus annuus) and Maximilian Sunflower (Helianthus maximiliani) should be in bloom. Also, the fall asters, such as Heath Aster (Symphyotrichum ericoides var. ericoides) and Wild Blue Aster (Symphyotrichum oblongifolium) should be abundant. Gayfeather (Liatris mucronata), Lantana (Lantana urticoides) and Rose Mallow (Pavonia lasiopetala) should all be in bloom. Many fall grasses, such as, Gulf Muhly (Muhlenbergia capillaris) and Purple Three-awn (Aristida purpurea) will also be in bloom.

The abundance of blooms and the variety, of course, will depend on the summer and early fall rains and weather. We hope to see you at the Wildflower Center in October.