Mr. Smarty Plants - Wintering over an Angel Trumpet in Kentucky

Saturday - September 20, 2008

From: LaGrange, KY
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Wintering over an Angel Trumpet in Kentucky

QUESTION:

I have an Angel Trumpet on my deck in LaGrange,Ky -Can I plant it out in the yard now or do I have to take it in the house for the winter- It is 5 feet tall and I have no room in the house! Help!-Thank you Dr. Dotty Heady

ANSWER:

From our webpage on Datura wrightii (sacred thorn-apple): "Jimsonweed has wilted flowers that are somewhat unsightly in the afternoon, but extremely showy in the evening and morning. It dies back to the ground in the winter, but comes back bigger and shrubbier. It is considered to be a extremely rank-smelling plant and all parts of the plant are highly toxic."

Since this plant is native to Kentucky, we would suggest you go ahead and get it in the ground soonest, so it can establish itself before it dies down for Winter. We wouldn't be too thrilled about having a foul-smelling plant of which all parts are toxic in the house, regardless of whether there was room for it. And be careful about handling it, use gloves and protect your arms. If you have to trim it, you might even consider goggles in case any sap pops out. 

Datura wrightii

Datura wrightii

Datura wrightii

Datura wrightii