En EspaÑol

Sunday - September 07, 2008

From: Owosso, MI
Title: Propagation of trumpet vine

We have a trumpet vine growing in our yard and a friend wants to grow one in her yard. Can we dry the seed pod out and use it to start a plant for next spring?

The propagation instructions for Campsis radicans (trumpet creeper) are listed on this plant's page in our Native Plant Database and are as follows:

Propagation Material: Seeds
Seed Collection: Gather ripe capsules when they turn brown but before they dry and split open (between 2-3 months after flowering). Remove seeds from pod, air dry, and store in sealed, refrigerated containers. 

The plant is native to Michigan, so should not be a big problem. It propagates itself very easily, and can be invasive, so be sure to plan a sufficient space where it will not disturb other plants.

Campsis radicans

Campsis radicans

Campsis radicans

Campsis radicans