Monday - August 25, 2008

From: Sheboygan, WI
Title: Hedge for steep slope by sidewalk in Wisconsin

QUESTION:

I have a fairly steep slope from the sidewalk to my yard. The space is about 48" high, 30" deep and 120' long. I was thinking that a boxwood hedge would fill that space nicely but no one else around here has done that and I don't know why. I would like th hedge to be at least up to the level of the yard and perhaps 3-4 feet higher. Does this make sense or are there better options?

ANSWER:

Here are four shrubs that should fit into your area and look good as a hedge.

Cornus sericea (redosier dogwood) with more photos and information

Cornus racemosa (gray dogwood) with more photos and information

Physocarpus opulifolius (common ninebark) with more photos and information

Amelanchier arborea (common serviceberry) with more photos and information

You can see other possibilities by visiting our Recommended Species page and clicking on Wisconsin on the map. This will give you a list of over 170 native plants suitable for landscaping in Wisconsin that are commercially available. You can then use the Narrow Your Search option and select 'Shrub' from the "Habit (general appearance) category" to reduce your list to 29 species.