Mr. Smarty Plants - Propagation of American Bittersweet

Wednesday - December 29, 2004

From: Round Rock, TX
Title: Propagation of American Bittersweet

QUESTION:

Will American Bittersweet grow in Central Texas?

ANSWER:

The American bittersweet, Celastrus scandens, will grow in Central Texas. You can read about it on the Wildflower Center web page. Be sure to check out the information concerning "Benefits", "Growing Conditions", etc., on the menu bar under "Taxonomy Table".

You can see a photograph of American bittersweet and read more about it on the National Wildlife Federation eNature web page and in the USDA Plants Database.

Jill Nokes (How to Grow Native Plants of Texas and the Southwest. 2001. Rev. and updated ed. Austin: University of Texas Press.) gives information about collecting, storing and propagating American bittersweet. This book may be available at your local library or you can purchase it from Wild Ideas, the Wildflower Center store.

American bittersweet
Celastrus scandens