Rent Shop Volunteer Join

Q. Who is Mr. Smarty Plants?

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers are the culpable and capable culprits. Yet, others think staff members play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Help us grow by giving to the Plant Database Fund or by becoming a member

Did you know you can access the Native Plant Information Network with your web-enabled smartphone?

Share

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants is a free service provided by the staff and volunteers at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Search Smarty Plants
See a list of all Smarty Plants questions

Please forgive us, but Mr. Smarty Plants has been overwhelmed by a flood of mail and must take a break for awhile to catch up. We hope to be accepting new questions again soon. Thank you!

Need help with plant identification, visit the plant identification page.

 
rate this answer
3 ratings

Monday - June 09, 2008

From: Folwerville, MI
Region: Midwest
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Are black walnut and sugar maple poisonous to alpacas
Answered by: Nan Hampton

QUESTION:

I have alpacas and wonder if black walnut or sugar maple are poisonous to them.

ANSWER:

The standard poisonous plants databases don't normally list alpacas in the animals that are considered, but there is a specific database, Plants that are Poisonous to Alpacas, that lists Juglans nigra (black walnut) and Acer rubrum (red maple) as toxic. Alpacanation.com also has lists for plants poisonous to alpacas.

From the standard poisonous plants databases, the Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System says that black walnut (Juglans nigra) shavings used as a bedding for horses can cause laminitis. Other symptoms listed are ataxia, rapid breathing, depression, lethargy, and recumbency. The Indiana Plants Poisonous to Livestock and Pets database advises limiting access of horses to pastures with black walnut trees. The hulls of the fruits also cause gastric distress in dogs. 

Several poisonous plant databases list Acer rubrum (red maple), or Acer sp. (specifically the leaves) as being toxic to horses, causing hemolytic anemia. The symptoms include depression, weakness, anorexia, red or brown urine, yellow or brown mucous membranes. See the following databases:

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System

Texas Toxic Plant Database

University of Pennsylvania Poisonous Plants

There are no specific references to Acer saccharum (sugar maple), but the University of Pennsylvania Poisonous Plants database shows this warning:

"While there are no documented cases of other Acer sp. causing intoxication, they should be considered a potential problem until proven otherwise. Thus, access of horses to silver and sugar maples should be restricted."


Juglans nigra

Acer rubrum

Acer saccharum

Acer rubrum

Acer saccharum

 

 

More Poisonous Plants Questions

Source for seeds of New Mexico locust from Abilene TX
October 23, 2012 - Is there a place to buy Robinia neomexicana native to Texas or order seed from Texas grown plants?
view the full question and answer

Curing plant rash
September 02, 2008 - I went walking in the woods a few weeks ago, and my leg swiped some kind of cactus or something. It scratched me up and I had to remove little white spines with tweezers. I developed an intensely itch...
view the full question and answer

Are the leaves of the Fruitless Palm Tree poisonous in Redding California?
October 18, 2010 - Are Fruitless Palm Tree leaves poisonous? I was poked in the hand with a leaf of one of the branches. It was a dead leaf/Branch? Please Help!
view the full question and answer

Horses exposed to toxic plants in Charles Town WV
July 13, 2010 - Mr. Smarty Pants, I have a big problem on my hands! Four of my horses have gotten into something toxic, but I must find out what. I found an unusual plant that a mare chased her foal away from. It's ...
view the full question and answer

Are Smilax species toxic?
October 23, 2009 - I have a plant that the agriculture department told me was similax. I have a severe allergic reaction to it, after digging up the roots (potato) and burning them. I had a feeling my lungs inside were ...
view the full question and answer

Support the Wildflower Center by Donating Online or Becoming a Member today.