Tuesday - May 13, 2008

From: Bordeaux,, France
Region: Other
Topic: Rare or Endangered Plants
Title: Entities adopting threatened species as symbol

QUESTION:

Please could you tell me about any nations, cities, towns or villages which have adopted a threatened species as their flagship or totem, and are attempting to save it? I am drawing up a list of such towns as I believe that civic involvement is very important in this most urgent situation! Many thanks for your time Hoping to hear from you soon

ANSWER:

This is somewhat out of the scope of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. We are dedicated to the care, protection and propagation of plant species native to North America. Of course, we also work to preserve endangered plant species of North America, where possible. At this point, we know of no such effort to "brand" a geographical entity with an endangered plant or animal species. We would suggest that you may need to promote such an action, beginning with your own community and enlisting others who are interested in the same project to do likewise.