Saturday - August 18, 2012

From: Pleasanton, TX
Topic: Rare or Endangered Plants, Seasonal Tasks, Watering, Trees
Title: Sycamore leaf snowbell from Pleasanton TX

How do you care for a sycamore leaf snowbell. Does it like sun or part shade? How much water? How often and what should it be fed. How fast or slowly does it grow? Anything you can tell me would be appreciated

Begin by going to our webpage on Styrax platanifolius (Sycamoreleaf snowbell). Here are the Growing Conditions for that plant:

"Growing Conditions

Water Use: Medium
Light Requirement: Part Shade
Soil Moisture: Moist
Drought Tolerance: Medium
Soil Description: Rich soils along Edwards Plateau streams on limestone rock."

Although we were unable to establish if this tree grows natively in Atacosa County, it looks like the conditions there would fit the above conditions.

From Texas Parks and Wildlife, here is an article on Texas Snowbells. Please note that it is an endangered plant, so it should not be removed from the wild.

From the Texas A&M Native Plant Database, Sycamore-leaf Snowbell.

Hopefully, the information from these articles will give you the desired information.

Sycamore-leaf snowbell
Styrax platanifolius

Sycamore-leaf snowbell
Styrax platanifolius

Sycamore-leaf snowbell
Styrax platanifolius