Tuesday - February 20, 2007

From: Temple, TX
Topic: Rare or Endangered Plants
Title: Research on decline of Quercus hinckleyi

I am doing a research project on the Hinckley's Oak (Quercus hinckleyi) and am in need of statistical data regarding the decline of this plant. I have been unable to find any data in this area. Any suggestions where to look? Thanks.

In an extensive search in the biological bibliographic databases available at the University of Texas, I could find no articles dealing with Hinckley's oak (Quercus hinckleyi). In an internet search (that you may have done yourself) I found the present Texas County distributions from the USDA Plants Database and I found an article from the Center for Plant Conservation that had a list of references that might have some material that would be useful to you. The Flora of North America has some information on fossil evidence of ancient distributions of Q .hinckleyi and the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service has a Hinckley Oak Recovery Plan (Quercus hinckleyi) with a discussion of its distribution, abundance, conservation and research efforts.

If these sources don't have the data you are looking for, I suggest you contact the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Texas Forest Service and Texas Parks and Wildflfe Department to see if they have unpublished reports and/or data on the Hinckley Oak.