Wednesday - April 30, 2008

From: Silsbee, TX
Title: Information on non-native Erythrinia crista-galli

QUESTION:

I am trying to find out some more information on a plant called firemen caps.. How to grow and sun or shade or both..

ANSWER:

The Erythrinia crista-galli, sometimes called the firemen's cap, is a native of Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Paraguay and therefore, not in our Native Plant Database. However, we will refer you to this Wikipedia website on the plant, which should give you some of the information you are looking for. Also, here is a website from Dave's Garden with comments by other people who have grown the plant. And, finally, a page of Images of the plant.