En EspaÑol

Thursday - April 03, 2008

From: Bartlett, IL
Title: Identification of wildflower in Illinois

QUESTION:

I have a similar question to the one asking about the blue/lilac wildflower in Illinois. Every year here in IL a blue, stragly, petal-ed flower/weed blooms - particularly along the edge of curbs along roads. I have a picture of it - and have been dying to figure out how to make it grow in my yard. I've already done the search you suggested and found no match in the 175 results that came up. Please help I've been searching the Internet for hours!

ANSWER:

It's good that you have a picture. Hopefully, someone here will be able to identify your flower from that. There is always the possibility that it is either a non-native to North America that has naturalized, in which case it would not be in our Native Plant Database, or that we simply don't have a record of it. At the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center we are committed to the study and care of plants native to North America. Go to our Mr. Smarty Plants page and, under "Plant Identification" you will find instructions for sending us a picture.