Wednesday - October 20, 2004

From: Woodbridge, VA
Title: What to plant in northern Virginia
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

We have recently purchased 10 acres in Northern Virginia, and would like to plant native wildflowers on 4 of the acres. The soil has a high clay content and is currently covered in a mixture of grasses that are periodically bush-hogged. How do we find out about what to plant and where to find the seeds?

The Virginia Native Plant Society, in cooperation with the Virginia Division of Natural Heritage & Department of Conservation and Recreation, provide a list specific to plant type, habit, ecotype, and requirements to assist the homeowner with decisions regarding landscaping with native plants. Also, VNPS provides an on-line reference recommending particular reputable nurseries that match your criteria.