Thursday - September 23, 2004

From: Dumfries, VA
Title: Smarty Plants on wildflower identification
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

Can you recommend a good CD-ROM on wildflower identification? I live in Virginia and am constantly frustrated trying to identify the myriad wildflowers I encounter as I move around the state.

ANSWER:

I am not familiar with existing CD-ROM "field guides" for native plant identification currently available on the market. Research in internet, or web-based, interfaces, combined with technological advances in hand-held units (PDA's), appear to be the latest development in e-tronic field guides. The closest I could come to CD-ROM technology is a resources entitled Woody Plants of North America. We provide a robust info on plants native to North America through our Native Plant Database, where you can research info on plants by name, vegetative or habit characteristics, even by region or state. Also, I recommend getting in contact with your state native plant society, where the kind folks at VNPS might be able to provide you with additional resources that will accomodate your need.