En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Native ground cover to replace grass in Florida.

Monday - February 04, 2008

From: Ocala, FL
Topic: Groundcovers
Title: Native ground cover to replace grass in Florida.

QUESTION:

Where can I find a list of ground covers to replace my grass. I live in the south of Ocala Florida.

ANSWER:

The Native Plant Society of Florida has lists of native plants to use for landscaping in Florida. You can search by county and I believe you are in Marion County.

Here are a few recommendations from their list for groundcovers that do well in Marion County, Florida:

Dyschoriste oblongifolia (oblongleaf snakeherb)

Licania michauxii (gopher apple)

Mimosa strigillosa (powderpuff)

Mitchella repens (partridgeberry)

Phyla nodiflora (turkey tangle frogfruit)

Sisyrinchium angustifolium (narrowleaf blue-eyed grass)

Zamia pumila (coontie)

You can also see a list of Florida Recommended native plants on our web site. Here are several recommendations from this list that would serve well as groundcovers:

Ceratiola ericoides (sand heath)

Chamaecrista nictitans ssp. nictitans (sensitive partridge pea)

Gaylussacia dumosa (dwarf huckleberry)

Also, you might consider one of the sedges, such as:

Carex blanda (eastern woodland sedge)

Carex cherokeensis (Cherokee sedge)

Dyschoriste oblongifolia

Mimosa strigillosa

Mitchella repens

Phyla nodiflora

Sisyrinchium angustifolium

Ceratiola ericoides

Chamaecrista nictitans ssp. nictitans

Gaylussacia dumosa

Carex blanda

Carex cherokeensis