Tuesday - January 08, 2008

From: Charleston, SC
Title: Shade-loving native plants for South Carolina

I am looking to incorporate a native plants section in my backyard. Shade seems to be a limiting factor in some parts, especially where I would look to create a natural hedge bordering my neighbor's yard. Any ideas for plantings?

You can find a list of native plants for South Carolina on our Recommended Species page. You can narrow your list for South Carolina by selecting the plants' characteristics or growing conditions, e.g., select "Shrubs" under Habits and "Part shade" and "Shade" under Light requirement. This will give you a list of shrubs that are native to South Carolina that will grow well in shade and/or part shade. These should be good choices for making a natural hedge. Mr. Smarty Plants has a few suggestions from that list:

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle)

Kalmia latifolia (mountain laurel)

Rhododendron maximum (great laurel)

Comptonia peregrina (sweet fern)

Euonymus americanus (bursting-heart)

Hydrangea arborescens (wild hydrangea)

Hypericum prolificum (shrubby St. Johnswort)

Lindera benzoin (northern spicebush)

Physocarpus opulifolius (common ninebark)

Rhododendron calendulaceum (flame azalea)

You can, of course, narrow the South Carolina list for herbs, trees, vines, etc., also, and for other growing conditions.

Kalmia latifolia

Rhododendron maximum

Comptonia peregrina

Euonymus americanus

Hydrangea arborescens

Hypericum prolificum

Lindera benzoin

Physocarpus opulifolius

Rhododendron calendulaceum