Monday - December 24, 2007

From: Frisco, TX
Title: Plant identification

I have a question about a plant that looks like a fern that has small red looking flowers and has thorns. Also it is very small (probably 2-3 inches tall). I'm just wondering what it is cause it grows on my lawn every summer and just looks out of place. Can't find anything on the net either.

Mr. Smarty Plants loves to identify plants, but it is very difficult to do from just a description alone.  I realize that you said that it grows in the summertime, but if you have a photo you could send us now we would have a much better chance of identifying it.  For instructions on submitting a photograph for identification, please see the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page under "Plant Identification".