Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification

Monday - December 24, 2007

From: Frisco, TX
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

I have a question about a plant that looks like a fern that has small red looking flowers and has thorns. Also it is very small (probably 2-3 inches tall). I'm just wondering what it is cause it grows on my lawn every summer and just looks out of place. Can't find anything on the net either.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants loves to identify plants, but it is very difficult to do from just a description alone.  I realize that you said that it grows in the summertime, but if you have a photo you could send us now we would have a much better chance of identifying it.  For instructions on submitting a photograph for identification, please see the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page under "Plant Identification".