Mr. Smarty Plants - Getting rid of King Ranch bluestem (Bothriochloa ischaemum)

Wednesday - December 12, 2007

Title: Getting rid of King Ranch bluestem (Bothriochloa ischaemum)

QUESTION:

I ranch approximately 1500 acres of land seven miles southeast of Marble Falls , Texas . At present, the land is inundated with King Ranch Bluestem; which as you know, kills by smothering all other natural range grasses. The cattle will not eat it unless they are starving to death. Do you have any suggestions as to how I might get rid of the the King Ranch Bluestem and save my good grasses? Any information you have will be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER:

Well, Mr. Smarty Plants has some bad news and some good news. The bad news, of course, is that it isn't going to be easy getting rid of KR bluestem. The good news is that we have a timely answer for you since we had a similar question less than a month ago about eliminating this pest, albeit on a smaller scale. However, large-scale or small-scale, the strategy is the same.