En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Does Chilopsis linearis, var.Bubba produce seed pods? No.

Monday - October 01, 2007

From: Sherman, TX
Topic: Seeds and Seeding, Trees
Title: Does Chilopsis linearis, var.Bubba produce seed pods? No.

QUESTION:

We have a really beautiful 2-year old Bubba, Desert Willow. It is already about 12 feet tall. I really have two questions. One does the Bubba form the seed pods like the other types of Desert Willows? I have not seen any seed pods yet and this is the second fall. And question two is: It has a couple of low growing branches. Will they move up as the tree grows taller or should I prune them? I want a tree shaped Desert Willow and I really do not like those low branches, but if they moved up with the growth of the tree, I would like them. Thank you for your help.

ANSWER:

Desert Willow (Chilopsis linearis) is not a true Willow (see genus Salix) although it has willow-like leaves.
The variety Bubba was originated by Paul Cox of the San Antonio Botanical Garden, and has proved to be a favorite among landscapers because of its drought tolerance and deer resistance. I have found only one reference regarding the production of seed pods by Bubba, and the Williamson County Landscape Center says Bubba does not produce seed pods.

The low branches will not move up the tree because of the way trees and other flowering plants grow. New growth is occuring at the tip of the plant, and once a branch is established, it will maintain its position on the plant relative to the ground, neither moving up or down. So if you don't like the low branches, go ahead and prune them.

Desert willow
Chilopsis linearis