Thursday - August 09, 2007

Title: Identification of native grasses little bluestem and switchgrass

QUESTION:

If you drive east of Austin on Hwy 71, there is a bluish looking grass that has become very noticeable since the heavy rains in July. The blades grow straight up and each plant is in clump form. Do you happen to know what this is? Thanks

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants believes what you are seeing is Schizachyrium scoparium (little bluestem). It has been very happy with all this rain. Although this is the most likely possibility, there is another—Panicum virgatum (switchgrass), which has a bluish tinge to it and is also prolific this year.

Panicum virgatum