Saturday - March 17, 2012

From: Corpus Christi, TX
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Purchase sources of Buffalograss from Corpus Christi TX

I've heard a lot of good things about Buffalograss, but no one in my area seems to carry it. One grower actually told me it didn't grow well here and recommended St. Augustine Floratam instead. Is he just trying to make a sale, or is the Floratam a better grass for this area?

In our How-To Articles we have articles written by experts here at the Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants. We want to refer you to these articles, which should tell you how some of the native grasses do in various parts of the state, and what their sunlight and shade requirements are.

As a side note, we cannot make recommendations on the St. Augustine Floratam. St. Augustine is not native to North America and is a water guzzler of the first order. With drought and heat a frequent condition in Texas, we are recommending native, low water use grasses to be used wherever conditions are appropriate. Most of them need more sun than St. Augustine, but much less water.

Native Lawns: Buffalograss

Native Lawns: Habiturf - the Ecological Lawn Under "Frequently Asked Questions" on this website are links to two suppliers of this seed. 

Native Lawns

Whether it will do well in Corpus Christi, we don't know, not being familiar with the amount of sun you have on your propety; however, both of the seed suppliers we have referred you to should be able to help you with that. Here is the page from the online catalog of Native American Seed on Buffalograss.