Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of worm feeding on chockecheery

Friday - August 03, 2007

From: Charlestown, IN
Topic: Diseases and Disorders
Title: Identification of worm feeding on chockecheery

QUESTION:

I am looking to find out what sort of worm looking insect, is commonly found on chokecherry trees. It has a turquoise appearance with yellow fingerlike projections on the back. It suctions onto the limbs and is hard to get off. It seems to eat the leaves. It is as long as your pinkie and as thick as your thumb. Any help?

ANSWER:

This sounds a lot like one of the Cecropia moth larvae, such as Hyalophora cecropia. You can see another picture of the larva and one that shows the adults as well.

Another possibility is Samia cecropia. You can see a picture of it feeding on rusty blackhaw (Viburnum rufidulum).

If neither of these is what you are seeing, you can submit photographs to us and we will try to find out what you have. You can read instructions for submitting photographs on the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page under "Plant Identification".