Monday - August 06, 2007

From: Houston, TX
Title: Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower seed mix

QUESTION:

Where can I buy "Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower seed mix? Does such a thing exist? It seems like years ago my neighbor had some packets that she planted in her front yard, they were gorgeous! I would like to keep the Ms. Johnson legacy going/growing.

ANSWER:

We at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center also would like to keep Mrs. Johnson's legacy growing, and consider every lovely stand of native plants a tribute to her. While there are many wildflower seed "mixes" on the market, it isn't as simple as buying a packet of seeds and throwing them in the yard. You need to consider the area of the country you live in, the soil and sun exposure that will be involved, rainfall, length of growing season and so on.

To answer your question, this link will take you to the online store of Native American Seed in Junction, Texas. They help translate the Wildflower Center's mission by selling seeds native to Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana. Native American Seed donates a portion of the proceeds from all web referrals to the Wildflower Center.

Next, rather than repeat some advice that has already been well researched, follow this link to a previous answer by Mr. Smarty Plants to a similar question. And follow the link in that article to our How-To Articles where you will find several excellent pieces on the project you are planning. The main thing we would warn you about is that "weeds" (plants you don't want) are going to be delighted to find the cleared ground for your wildflowers. Disturbing the soil to make it more receptive to the seeds you wish to sow will also make it more receptive to ones you don't want to grow. The less you disturb the area in preparation, probably the better off your wildflower garden will be. Try to identify and hand pull the plants you do not want. Most wildflower seeds are better sowed in the Fall, and any that you purchase should have specific instructions for preparation, time of planting and general culture.

Good luck!