En Espa—ol

Friday - September 01, 2006

From: Ossining, NY
Title: Locating sources for bracken fern in New York

QUESTION:

I am looking for bracken fern plants to plant in my garden. Where can I find them?

ANSWER:

You can search our National Suppliers Directory for nurseries in New York or the Northeast that specialize in native plants. Another source for native plant nurseries is PlantNative.org. In a preliminary search of web sites for nurseries listed on these two sources I found Fort Pond Native Plants in Montauk, New York listing Western brackenfern (Pteridium aquilinum) and other native ferns for sale. Roslyn Nursery in Dix Hills, New York, does not list brackenfern but does have a large variety of other native ferns, including Cinnamon fern (Osmunda cinnamomea), Interrupted fern (Osmunda claytoniana), and New York fern (Thelypteris noveboracensis). Many of the native plant suppliers did not list web pages, but do have telephone numbers. You might locate one nearer to you that you can telephone for the availability of bracken fern.