Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of non-native Viburnum lantana

Monday - July 23, 2007

From: Burlington, WI
Title: Identification of non-native Viburnum lantana

QUESTION:

Could you tell me what this plant is? I have no idea! Vib Iantana Mohican - this is all the info. I have, other than it can grow in the mid-west.

ANSWER:

Viburnum lantana 'Mohican', Wayfaring tree is a much-used shrub in the United States. However, it is not a US native plant; it's a US National Arboretum selected cultivar of the European species. It is often used in landscapes for green filler where drought-tolerance and pest-resistance are important. Like most cool-temperate region viburnums, V. lantana is deciduous. It grows well in your area (Wisconsin).

An interesting fact about this species is that the arrows that were found with Otzi, the 5000 year-old "iceman" discovered in the Italian/Austria Alps some years ago, were crafted from Viburnum lantana wood.