En EspaÑol

Saturday - August 30, 2008

From: 98250, WA
Region: Northwest
Topic: Non-Natives, Transplants
Title: Propagation on bamboo in Washington State

QUESTION:

I have been trying for some time to grow bamboo in my garden. They rooted very well in the house but as soon as I put them in a large planter under the fir trees they turned yellow.They have a large healthy root system but this is the third time I have tried to transplant them outdoors with problems. Any ideas?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants, being by nature lazy, would like to refer you to a previous answer which pretty well covers your question.

In addition, the Phyllostachys aurea, if that is what you are trying to plant, would do better not in the shade of the fir trees.