Mr. Smarty Plants - Trimming non-native plants

Saturday - November 21, 2009

From: Venice, FL
Title: Trimming non-native plants

QUESTION:

What time of year is best to trim my Alamanda cathartica, and also my Plumbago auriculata? Thanks

ANSWER:

Our focus and expertise here at the Wildflower Center are with plants native to North America.  Since neither of the plants you asked about are North American natives—Allamanda cathartica, golden-trumpet is a native of Brazil and Plumbago auriculata, plumbago is a native of South Africa—we really can't be of much help.  You might try submitting your question to one of the forums on GardenWeb or you might try searching for information on line by Googling the scientific names.