Mr. Smarty Plants - Herbalism and Native American EthnoBotany

Monday - June 25, 2007

From: buena vista, VA
Topic: Medicinal Plants
Title: Herbalism and Native American EthnoBotany

QUESTION:

What plants cure diarrhea?

ANSWER:

At the risk of sounding pedantic, Mr. Smarty Plants would point out that diarrhea is a symptom, not a disease in itself. Through-out recorded history, people have used various plant remedies to alleviate diarrhea and other ailments, a practice referred to as herbalism.

Native American EthnoBotany is a website that has over 500 listings for plants that have been used to treat diarrhea. Another source of information about medicinal plants is the Bakken Library and Museum, It is important that you pay attention to the caution found on the Bakken site when you use plant remedies from any source. I have paraphrased it below (the italics are mine).

Caution: The information found in many Herbals is purely historical and should not be construed in any way as medical advice. Many plants are poisonous or cause severe allergic reactions. Identification of plants may sometimes be difficult. Always consult a physician before using plant remedies.