En EspaÑol

Monday - May 21, 2007

From: Victor, ID
Title: Difference between Pseudoroegneria spicata and Elymus trachycaulus

QUESTION:

What is the difference between Pseudoroegneria spicata and Elymus trachycaulus.

ANSWER:

The differences are minor. The species of the genus Pseudoroegneria have been included in Elymus by some authorities. The most distinguishable morphological difference is in the awns of the lemmas of the two species. The awns of Pseudoroegneria spicata are typically sharply reflexed and diverge from the culm giving the plant a rather unkempt appearance, while the awns of Elymus trachycaulus - if present - are usually straight and are held more-or-less parallel to the culm. The Grass Manual on the Web is an excellent resource for more information on these and other North American grasses.