Mr. Smarty Plants - Native plants for bioswale in Tennessee

Tuesday - September 02, 2008

From: Nashville, TN
Title: Native plants for bioswale in Tennessee

QUESTION:

What native plants do you recommend for a bioswale in Tennessee?

ANSWER:

Obviously, you saw our previous answer on a bioswale in Baltimore. Without repeating all the explanation, we are going to give you a list of prairie grasses that are native to Tennessee. These are all members of the Poaceae or grass family. You can find alternatives for yourself by going to the Native Plant Database and Narrow Your Search by selecting Tennessee and grass or grasslike habit. Then, go to our Native Plant Suppliers section, type in your town and state in the Enter Search Location box and you will get a list of native seed companies, plant nurseries and landscape professional in your general area. They can probably give you better advice and plant recommendations than we can from a distance.

Andropogon gerardii (big bluestem)

Andropogon glomeratus (bushy bluestem)

Bothriochloa laguroides ssp. torreyana (silver beardgrass)

Bromus ciliatus (fringed brome)

Chasmanthium latifolium (Inland sea oats)

Dichanthelium sphaerocarpon (roundseed panicgrass)

Elymus canadensis (Canada wildrye)

Elymus hystrix var. hystrix (eastern bottlebrush grass)

Andropogon gerardii

Andropogon glomeratus

Bothriochloa laguroides ssp. torreyana

Bromus ciliatus

Dichanthelium sphaerocarpon

Elymus canadensis

Elymus hystrix var. hystrix