From: Cullman, AL
Topic: Non-Natives, Plant Identification
Title: Diamonds and Rubies plant (Lychnis coronaria)
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

I recently purchased a plant from the Huntsville, AL Botanical Gardens at their annual plant sale. The name on the plant tag is "Rubies and Diamonds". No one at the Botanical Garden knew the sciencfic name or the proper care of the plant. Do you know about this plant. I can not find this plant on the web. Thanks for your help.

We believe your "Rubies and Diamonds" or "Diamonds and Rubies" plant is Lychnis coronaria, commonly called rose campion. It is a non-native species introduced from Europe, northern Africa and the Middle East.