Saturday - April 28, 2007

From: longview, TX
Topic: Managing Roadsides
Title: Planting bluebonnets along highway

We are in the process of fencing our land located on a main highway. We are supposed to fence 80ft. from the center of the highway. That is a lot of land just sitting there. I wanted to know since we can't fence it, will we be able to plant Texas bluebonnets along the highway? and also will the state highway mower go around the bluebonnets when they mow along the highway? Also, are they any laws governing where and who can plant the state flower?

If you are planning on planting bluebonnets on your own land, you don't need the permission of the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT). If you want to sow bluebonnet seeds on the highway right-of-way, however, you should consult with your Tyler District Office of TxDOT. They would also be the entity to contact to find out about mowing schedules and policy. You can read more about TxDOT's wildflower planting and maintenance programs on their web page.

To help you with your project, Mr. Smarty Plants recommends that you read "How to Grow Bluebonnets", "Planting Wildflowers along Roadsides", and "Large Scale Wildflower Planting" from our How to Articles web page.

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis