Saturday - October 20, 2012

From: Winona, TX
Topic: Managing Roadsides, Trees
Title: Can a fallen tree in Texas have pieces of it removed from Winona TX

I was wondering if you could tell me if a tree has fallen down, is it legal for me to go and cut pieces off of it in the state of Texas. And if you happen not to know could you tell me who I would contact in order to ask.

Sure, if it's your tree. If it's not your tree, and it has fallen on your land, you can remove it in the interests of safety. If it is on someone else's land, including TXDoT  (Texas Department of Transportation) roadsides, no, you cannot. To remove anything, plant (dead or alive) or other natural features from land you do not own can be considered  criminal trespass.

If you wish to get more specific information, we suggest you contact the Texas Department of Transportation, Tyler District.